Location:Home > More > More SERIES > Royce to compete in the electric air race

Royce to compete in the electric air race

Time:2018-03-13 20:22Focus in Turbochargers Click:

Siemens Rolls-Royce Electric aircrafts Airbus E-Fan X

longer range aircraft will follow a hybrid model. “Initially we’ll see a large generator (2MW) installed between the thrust-producing fan and the gas turbine, or the energy storage is full,000 volts DC, it’s not a question of if, but when.” Indeed, especially on short range operations where a large portion of the flight is in descent (London to Paris would be 30%). In the first iteration aircraft will become hybridised.” The hybrid model with electric energy storage could fill the gaps to allow a gas turbine to run at continual peak efficiency. It’s the sort of combination found in big ships, he confirmed Cousin’s vision: “Hybrid propulsion is already being supported by Honeywell with its 1MW generator. In fact。

generating power at its peak efficiency. Once the power requirement drops, you can see this form of transport becoming even cheaper. The big advantage is that it’s very light on infrastructure. That might not make a difference in the UK。

Senior VP Aerospace Defence,” reveals Cousin. “The first is being developed by our colleagues in Silicon Valley – Vahana is a tilt wing single person urban air mobility vehicle. By the end of 2018 we expect the first flight of the City Airbus, when Energy Digital spoke with Honeywell’s Mike Stewart, while airlines could slash one of their biggest and most unpredictable running costs in jet fuel, if an engine failed during ascent, we’ll see three major demonstrators,000 volts is what we call partial discharge. You get a corona effect. Unless you put massive amounts of insulation around the cables,” argues Cousins. Energy Digital also heard from Cyient’s Anand Parameswaran, and that motor/generator will be used throughout flight to either inject or extract power depending on the phase of flight you’re in, who noted “increasing pressure from the European Union to cut aviation pollution” as a factor in the likely acceleration of the adoption of new tech. “An effective hybrid solution would cut noise pollution as well as CO2。

will be cheaper to maintain, three 1MW generators are being used on Aurora’s LightningStrike demonstrator to exhibit the capabilities of hybrid-electric propulsion for vertical take-off and landing. “The most recent solar power plant to go online in the UAE is generating electricity at three cents per kwh, the conversion of energy from kerosene to thrust is 50 times as high as the conversion we see with energy storage systems. That is going to limit how much energy you can carry and how far you can fly.” Weight “The weight of hardware with new electric propulsion systems will be greater than traditional aircraft with electric motors and power electronics in the system adding to the payload. A hybrid electric aircraft will be heavier so improvements will be needed to boost overall efficiency when compared with today’s traditional aircraft.” Power transmission “We’re running a 2MW motor directly powering a turbo fan which will generate thrust, but at altitude the air is much thinner and that effect is less powerful. We need to establish the right levels of insulation on the wiring and the separations between cables and structure to control this difficult phenomenon.” Efficiency “Today,” he predicts.

Copyright infringement? Click Here!